When does uninsured motor coverage actually apply?

San Mateo County Personal Injury Attorney Reuben Donig:

It applies when you’ve been injured by a motorist who doesn’t have insurance which would include a hit and run driver or who doesn’t have enough insurance to fully compensate you. One of the most common misconceptions that people have is that they think they’re only covered by their uninsured motorist policy when they’re involved in a car accident in their own car or in the covered car. That’s just simply not true, that’s not the case. If you’re walking across the street and you’re hit by a uninsured or under insured driver, your uninsured motorist coverage will apply. If you’re on a bicycle and a car hits you, your uninsured motorist coverage will apply. If you’re sitting on a sidewalk cafe and a car jumps the curve and causes you injury, your uninsured motorist coverage will apply. It applies not just when you’re in your car; it applies anytime another driver operating a motor vehicle causes you injury and damages.

(Attorney Reuben Donig specializes in personal injury law and premises liability, including auto and car accidents in San Mateo County, Santa Clara County, Alameda County and San Francisco County. Visit him at www.doniglaw.com if you have a question you’d like to ask).

Practice Areas