The California Tort Claims Act

When one thinks about it, the government plays an important role in the daily lives of Californians. The government, whether state or local, owns a lot of buildings and land, both so it can carry on its operations or to directly benefit the public. Moreover, public employees help shape how residents of the Bay Area live and work, and many residents may even have jobs with the state or local government. Finally, the government is also engaging contractors to do work on behalf of the public on a regular basis. The bottom line is that many people in the Bay Area will visit public property run by the state or the federal government, and some will do so quite regularly.

As is the case with any other property, the government agency in charge of this property has an obligation to keep it well-maintained and free of hazards. If they fail to do so, then a victim can consider filing a personal injury action and seek compensation for their injuries.

However, it is very important to remember that, when suing the state government or a subdivision, special rules and deadlines apply. Still, in general, a person will need to follow the provisions of the California Tort Claims Act if he or she wishes to sue the state or local government. Some of the requirements of this Act include filing notice of one’s claim on an approved form and doing so within 6 months after the incident that gives rise to the claim.

Since these rules can be complicated and, if broken, can doom a person’s chances for compensation, it is helpful for someone with a potential claim against a government agency or subdivision to seek professional legal help.

Share On